Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I often wonder why I 'suggest' more difficult science projects. Next year (I tell myself this every year) we are going to start early & simple. 7th grade science project - can a fuel cell using everyday materials (I might add - some turned out not to be everyday!) be as efficient as a standard combustion engine? That's a regular engine in your car for people like me who aren't quite as brilliant as John. It was quite interesting. I've learned what a voltmeter is - easily purchased at a hardware store. Now the stickler - platinum wire. We all know the expense & beauty of platinum rings. Yep - I spent an afternoon driving around looking for platinum wire - this is not an everyday item! We ended up finally ordering it on the internet - $13 for a foot of wire. I keep reminding John that I am investing in my future. He must get a good job & support his mother in her old age - preferably in a large mansion :)

Here is John's fuel cell - but before you think this silly contraption doesn't do anything stay with me for the fascinating part. (No - the Crest provides no meaningful contribution other than holding our battery up)

It's very difficult to see in this picture, but off the coil of 'very expensive' platinum wire you can see the massive amounts of bubbles being formed. The platinum wire was separating the hydrogen & oxygen in the water & there were 2 coils. I've shown the coil with more bubbles coming off of it. The other coil had less. We weren't sure which one was the hydrogen & which was the oxygen. It was kinda cool to watch.


When you remove the power source the hydrogen & oxygen recombine & that provides the power - John can obviously explain this MUCH better than I.
John has also found a new love... anyone who lives next to a Target or SuperTarget - run, don't walk to pick some of this most yummy treat up.


Candy Cane flavored milk - it's to die for!!!

1 comment:

codyandmeag said...

I am going to try your suggestion:) Tell John good luck on his project. I am sure he will get extra points for difficulty.