Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I did something today I don't normally do...

As I was leaving downtown tonight, traffic was a bit crazier than usual due to construction & a woman on her cell phone was blocking the lane in front of me & that made me grumpy, but after getting past her I was stopped at the light - just ready to get on the freeway. I glanced over to the corner & there was a woman with her sign up "Need Help, Will work..." I don't remember as I didn't really glance at the sign. It's not an unusual sight in downtown Minneapolis as panhandlers are out every day, but as I glanced at this woman I saw such a look of weariness, of embarrassment of where she was & my heart ached for her. How close to that position are any of us really? As I caught her eye & quickly reached out to give here a mere $5 & wished her well she had such a look of gratitude as she thanked me. As I drove home I realized I didn't know how or on what she would spend my tiny pittance, but I imagined her buying milk for her children or perhaps she would spend it foolishly, but I hoped that my smile and small gift would help her day be a bit brighter & less lonely. I know that she had helped me put things a bit more into perspective.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thank you...touching